Wednesday, April 25, 2007

da barbershops

Welp, here is what I've been working on for the past month or so. In my portfolio class, I chose to do a documentary on eastside barbershops in Lubbock... SO MUCH FUN! I did get some interesting looks and hesitant participants, but after spending lots o time with these peeps, they started warming up to me and realized what I was doing.
And this is why I chose the barbershop deal...
During my freshman year we went to E's barbershop to get some braids ( i'm still not sure why we did that...) and while we were there, we realized that people who go to barbershops on the eastside have a stinkin good time. It's a social place. People go there after work or after school just to hang out, whether they're getting their hair cut or not. It just fascinated me. So, that led me to this portfolio! And after people realized that I had good intentions and I just loved the way they live life together, the tall white girl stopped getting dirty looks and now we're all friends :)


























2 comments:

kristinbednarz said...

You do know, I'm intensely jealous that you get to study this obsession of mine. No, not black hair salons, but photography.

I know what you are thinking...quit reading blogs Kristin, and finish my esession! LOL

But seriously, I would love to see your portfolio!

amberburger said...

brittany.
amazing.
love your work.
love you.
love,
me